A charity dedicated to supporting victims of carbon monoxide poisoning across the UK faces closure within weeks.
CO Awareness will close on 31 December after seven years dedicated to raising awareness of carbon monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide Awareness founder and president Lynn Griffiths said: “We have had many successes: we established Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week which is now a national institution and a fixture in the calendar and our news media campaigns have generated massive publicity.
“We have also worked closely with councils, the emergency services and many others on a range of campaigns and we have been a source of support to victims of this terrible gas.
“I spend hours talking to people who have been poisoned by carbon monoxide because often they have no one else to turn to who truly understands what they have been through.
“Both NHS Direct and the College of Emergency Medicine pass my contact details on to victims of CO poisoning.”
Carbon monoxide is the most common poison in the UK. Early symptoms are similar to common ailments such as food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness.
These may include headache, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting, aching muscles, difficulty breathing, vision changes, high blood pressure, tinnitus, rapid pulse, dizziness, vertigo and pins and needles.
Judgement is impaired and the victim may go through emotional changes and become confused and clumsy. If unchecked and the victim doesn’t leave the toxic environment, loss of consciousness, coma and death may follow.
To support CO Awareness with a donation, visit its website