Baroness Verma, parliamentary under-secretary of state for the Department of Energy & Climate Change, will be speaking at the first Entrepreneurial Women in Renewable Energy (EwiRE) conference taking place in Bristol today (13 March).
In November 2014, Regen SW launched the Entrepreneurial Women in Renewable Energy (EWiRE) network, which now has more than 200 women signed up.
Baroness Verma will be speaking about her involvement with Powerful Women in Energy, a professional initiative to showcase female leadership potential in the UK’s energy sector.
Ernst & Young global vice chair Alison Kay and Trillion Fund chief executive Julia Groves are also on the agenda.
The EWiRE network aims to:
- increase the visibility and profile of women working in sustainable energy at events across England and Wales;
- increase the contribution of women to the boards of small and medium-sized sustainable energy enterprises across England and Wales;
- promote the attractiveness of working in the sustainable energy sector to encourage wider female participation; and
- provide increased networking opportunities for women to do business in the sector.
To achieve these, it has taken the following steps:
- A steering group has been set up consisting of 12 female industry leaders, which is being led by Regen.
- Dedicated EWiRE events are planned during 2015.
- Regen will actively promote jobs in the sector, including non-executive director positions. If there is a role in your organisation that you would like to promote through its extensive networks, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regen will actively promotewomen in the sector seeking a non-exec position.
- Regen will set up a mentoring programme. If you are interested in being a mentor, please email email@example.com to register your interest.