A prosecution instigated by the Health and Safety Executive has seen action taken against a Cheltenham contractor and a retailer, after a worker was exposed to asbestos.
The case was heard in Cheltenham Magistrates’ Court on 27 July, hearing that contractor Simon Cooper, of Leckhampton, Cheltenham, failed to ensure a proper asbestos was available before work began.
The court also heard that Hutchinson HiFi and Vision Ltd failed to provide any client information regarding the presence of asbestos and should have ensured a demolition and refurbishment survey was carried out, with the results made available to Mr Cooper.
It was stated that workers on site, including Matthew Thompson 28, from Cheltenham, removed up to 85 m of asbestos insulating board over two days last February without the necessary controls or adequate protection.
Hutchinson HiFi & Vision Ltd, of High Street, Cheltenham, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 10 (1) (b) of the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2007 and was fined £3,500 and ordered to pay £1,836 in costs.
Mr Cooper pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 5 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 and was fined £600 and ordered to pay £800 in costs.