Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Aberdeen firm fined after investigation into hotel gas blast

An Aberdeen-based catering supply company has been fined after three people were seriously injured in a gas explosion in a hotel kitchen in Auchenblae.

The three – a barmaid, customer and a worker – were caught in the blast at the Drumtochty Arms in Market Square on 7 January 2009, which happened as work was underway on the premises’ gas system.

Aberdeen Sheriff Court heard on 25 June that Instant Catering Maintenance was employed by the hotel to design and install a new ground floor kitchen to contain three appliances – hotplate range, four ring hob and a freestanding chargrill – that would be fuelled by propane.

The court heard that ICM designed and installed a steel manifold to supply propane gas to appliances. However, it was not fitted with an adequate facility to allow for safe purging of the system, which would have prevented gas build-up to dangerous levels.

All gas appliances should have regulators to ensure correct pressure and for use on a propane-fuelled appliance they should be suitably converted.

When HSE Inspectors examined the recovered appliances they found that a regulator supplied with the chargrill had not been fitted and that the regulators on the hotplate and hob were found to have been attached the wrong way round and set for natural gas rather than propane. This work had been carried out by another ICM employee.

Mr Coffield confirmed he had noticed the absence of a regulator on one appliance and was told to test the system by lighting it. Mr Coffield decided to purge the system, which involves the removal of air within the pipe work and appliances so it is replaced by the fuel gas, an activity that he was trained, certified and competent to carry out.

Unfortunately the system had not been designed with a suitable purging point leading to the pressure-testing tap valve being left open for significantly longer than would have been needed had it been designed correctly. Mr Coffield was not provided with a flare stack, which would have allowed him to have safely dissipated the released gas; instead he repeatedly opened the test port whilst trying to light the pilot light of the appliances.

Investigations found that Mr Coffield’s stated actions alone could not account for the build-up of gas and the severity of the explosion. The court was not therefore asked to proceed on the basis that the company’s failings caused the release of the entire quantity of gas required to cause the explosion. However, it did cause the release of a quantity of gas within the kitchen of the hotel and the risk of injury if that gas ignited.

Instant Catering Maintenance Limited of Union Street, Aberdeen, was fined £7,500 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.