New research released by Gas Safe Register has revealed at least 68,000 homes have escaped deadly gas incidents, such as explosions, fires and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, in the last year.
The research carried out among Gas Safe registered engineers revealed that over half of engineers (57%) found a dangerous gas boiler, cooker or fire in a customer’s home in the last year that needed turning off immediately.
Around half (45%) of these dangerous appliances were attributed to people failing to get their gas appliance regularly serviced.
Gas Safe Register’s own inspections of over 120,000 homes in the past four years, found unsafe gas appliances in one in six homes – the equivalent of 4.28 million households.
In addition, the UK Gas Distribution Networks (National Grid, Northern Gas Networks, Scotia Gas Networks and Wales & West Utilities) found over 70,000 unsafe gas appliances at emergency callouts attended in just the last year.
Gas Safe Register’s data has identified which areas are most at risk across the country.
Birmingham is the most unsafe, with a third (32%) of all homes found to have an unsafe gas appliance.
Other dangerous cities include:
- Edinburgh (31%)
- Cardiff (29%)
- Manchester (29%)
- Norwich (29%)
- Ipswich (28%)
- Coventry (27%)
- Milton Keynes (25%)
- Glasgow (24%)
- Aberdeen (22%)
Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Over the past three years there’s been 31 deaths and over 1,000 injuries that have resulted from gas related incidents.
“However, listening to our engineers tell us about the situations they face on a daily basis and hearing just how many life-threatening incidents they prevent, it’s surprising there haven’t been more.
“It shows what a great job registered engineer’s do, but at the same time the public also has an important role in gas safety. An engineer can only help keep you safe if they are invited into your home to check your gas appliances.”
Gas Safety Week, an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of gas appliances, is currently running until 19 September 2014.