Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

£3,000 penalty for gas safety failure

A court fine was handed down recently after a caravan at a site in Cornwall was rented out without gas safety certificates.

The site’s owner, Shirley Cooper, received a two year conditional discharge at Bodmin Magistrates’ Court and ordered to pay £3,000 costs after failing to ensure gas appliances in the caravan were in a safe condition.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), prosecuting, told the court that Mrs Cooper was served with an Improvement Notice after she failed to provide a gas safety certificate for the caravan, which had a gas fire, cooker and boiler installed.

Despite the notice, she did not arrange for a registered gas fitter to check the appliances and issue a safety certificate for the caravan at Small Park, Little Trelower, Trelowth near St Austell.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE Inspector, Georgina Speake, said:

“Landlords have a legal obligation to ensure gas appliances are properly checked every year and are issued with certificates to prove the work has been done.”

Mrs Cooper, of Main Road, Colden Common, Winchester, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36 of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 by failing to ensure the appliances were safe, and Section 33(1)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 after she failed to comply with the Improvement Notice.