The UK Government has been forced to announce it will hold another consultation on energy efficiency measures linked to existing buildings after failing to include ‘consequential improvements” in its consultation on Part L.
The Building Services industry had been keenly awaiting information on how the Government was set to approach ‘consequential improvements‘ - compulsory cost effective energy efficiency measures linked to renovation and extension work.
But, when the main Part L consultation document was finally released last Thursday after months of delay there was no reference to the issue – which is seen as crucial to helping improve the existing building stock.
A Department for Communities and Local Government spokesman refused to comment on accusations the issue had been dropped at the last minute despite being formally backed by other departments.
The spokesman said: “Consequential improvements will be considered as part of a future consultation. We still have not got a date for when that will be.”
Inbuilt chief executive Dr David Strong said: “This is absolute nonsense. There is a window of opportunity to get this issue included as part of the revision of Part L. It is a complete cop out to say it will be part of a future consultation.”
Paul King, chief Executive of the UK-GBC told Architects' Journal: ‘With one hand government waves a flag which says it aspires to a ‘near zero carbon’ built environment by 2050, and with the other it throws away one of the few levers it has to signal a serious shift in policy that could help catalyze a major new market for refurbishment that would be very good for the economy and crucial for meeting the government’s new carbon budget.’