Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

NAPIT supports charity’s CO bid

The National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT) has agreed to cover the costs of five blood tests on behalf of people who have been involved in cases
of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

The results of the tests will be used to lay the foundations of a research study commissioned by CO-Awareness, a charitable organisation that seeks to examine which other products of combustion are absorbed by the bloodstream.

“We are deeply concerned that victims have been exposed to more than just CO during the leakage of combustion products,” said CO-Awareness president and founder Lynn Griffiths. “We believe that it is these toxins that are responsible for the long-term health issues that so many CO victims suffer from. 

“At the moment, no one really understands just what toxins are absorbed into the body, but we believe this study will answer some of those questions. We’re hoping the medical profession will use the results to develop better ongoing medical care and support for survivors of CO incidences.”

Ms Griffiths added: “We would like to raise enough money to fund as many as 25 blood tests – that would provide us with a bigger sample [from which to draw conclusions].”

John Andrews, NAPIT chief executive, said: “CO-Awareness is fighting hard against bureaucracy and business interests in its campaign to get justice for the victims of what is CO poisoning, yet their conditions may in fact be due to other toxins in the fume inhalation they have been
subject to.

“We are more than happy to help this organisation get justice for people who suffer truly appalling damage to their faculties because of their exposure, usually through no fault of their own.”