Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Landlord fined for gas boiler breach

A landlord from Worcester whose tenants were taken to hospital suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning has been fined for failing to adequately maintain a gas boiler.

Shazad Ishaq admitted contravening gas safety regulations and was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay £1,500 costs by magistrates in Worcester.

Tenants at the house in Wylds Lane were taken to hospital in March last year suffering from suspected exposure to carbon monoxide after complaining about the smell of fumes from the gas boiler.

The court was told before the family was evacuated, a National Grid engineer noticed a flue gas spillage and the gas supply to the boiler and cooker hob was disconnected.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) identified inadequate air supply to the boiler which was kept in a kitchen cupboard, inadequate cleaning and maintenance of the boiler, especially the filters, visual signs of soot and flue gas spillage on the inside of the cupboard and boiler casing and the flue was 'not to current standards'.

The HSE has warned gas boilers must be serviced and checked regularly by authorised engineers.