The Heating and Ventilating Contractors' Association (HVCA) has joined a national campaign aimed at raising awareness amongst consumers of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO).
The initiative titled Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! is organised by the Carbon Monoxide Consumer Awareness Alliance (COCAA) will highlight the risk posed by faulty gas appliances and the need for householders and landlords to check home appliances regularly. It also urges people to install CO alarms.
Bob Towse, head of technical and safety at HVCA, said: 'There are around 30 deaths every year from CO poisoning, but the real figure could be much higher as the early symptoms are similar to those of illnesses such as influenza.
'Many of these fatalities could be avoided if appliances burning gas, oil or solid fuel were checked annually by qualified installers.'
COCAA is administered by Corgi and includes major energy retailers, representatives from industry bodies, manufacturers of CO alarms and victim support charities.
For more information go to www.becarbonmonoxideaware.com or