Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Gas fitter guilty of manslaughter

A self-employed gas fitter has been found guilty of causing the death of two elderly friends, killed by carbon monoxide poisoning after he failed to fix a boiler at one of their homes.

Margaret Eileen Powell, 72, and Thomas Gwyn Morgan, 74, were discovered dead in Mrs Powell’s home in Brecon, Wales, in December 2006.

Cardiff Crown Court heard gas engineer Peter Tongue, 60, of Llanspyddid, had carried out work on the woman’s Powell’s ducted warm air central heating boiler only weeks earlier. When the boiler was examined, part of it was found to be congested with soot and subsequently leaking out carbon monoxide.

Mr Tongue was found guilty of two counts of manslaughter and six offences under the Health and Safety Act in relation others works he had carried out.

He has been released on bail to be sentenced on 30 July.