Tenants on a North East housing estate have been ordered not to use their gas fires for fear they could be leaking carbon monoxide gas.
South Tyneside Homes has warned 140 tenants on the Jarrow estate that their gas fires may have been incorrectly fitted.
Management also said that the subcontractors who installed the fires have been ordered to leave the site.
A spokesman described the warning as a “precautionary measure” after the fault was identified when a tenant complained that a metal plate on the back of the fire was loose.
The spokesman went on: “South Tyneside Homes have identified problems with a number of fires and are working closely with our partner, Frank Haslam Milan, to resolve the situation.
“As soon as we were aware of the problem, we notified the Health and Safety Executive and asked customers to stop using their fires.
“We are now in the process of revisiting these customers to carry out the inspection and arrange any remedial work required with the customer.
“The problem has not affected central heating systems and tenants can rest assured that they can continue to use this safely and have heating and hot water.
“The sub-contractor responsible for fitting the fires in question has been removed from site and a full investigation will be carried out in due course.
“We will continue to keep customers informed about when they will be able to use their fires again and will do everything we can to rectify any issues as soon as possible.”
South Tyneside Homes is an arms length company set up by South Tyneside Council to run its council homes and estates.