Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Flues cause carbon monoxide alert at flats

Taylor Wimpey is undertaking remediation work at a 340 home development in Poole after a week long investigation was provoked by high levels of carbon monoxide being detected in a flat.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was called in after the deadly gas built up in the flat and was detected in another at the Harbour Reach Development in Hamworthy.

Since then Taylor Wimpey has been working with the HSE, Corgi and local housing associations to tackle the issue although it insists only a small number of homes are affected.

A Taylor Wimpey spokesman said issues with the installation of concealed gas flues were identified at a “small number of properties”.

As a precautionary measure gas supplies were turned off at all properties including. If access was gained to the property only the boiler was disconnected to allow continued use of the cooker hob, but if this was not possible the supply was turned off at the meter.

The spokesman said: “Following our investigation work we have sent an update to residents and owners on the current situation and are working with them to confirm a remediation programme.

“The health and safety of our customers continues to be of paramount importance to us and work could not start until the thorough investigation programme was completed. We are continuing to work with the HSE, Corgi and the housing associations to ensure the situation is resolved as quickly and as safely as possible.

“We wish to apologise to our customers for the ongoing inconvenience.”

Various measures have been put in place by the housing associations to help residents including connecting electric immersion heaters to the boiler to provide hot water and providing electric heating while also offering to pay for any additional energy costs.

The Health and Safety Executive issued a safety alert in October regarding flues travelling in voids due to worries that in some circumstances it can be difficult to check their condition and see if they have been installed correctly.

For more information on the alert click here.