Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Ducting falls on school students

School pupils were injured after heating ducting fell on them as they took an exam.

A total of 14 year nine pupils needed treatment following the incident at Minster College on the Isle of Sheppey just after 9am this morning. Several were taken to hospital to have head and neck injuries assessed

Head teacher Alan Klee said: 'During an exam being sat by year nine pupils in the sports hall at Minster College, heating ducting collapsed.

'14 year nine pupils have injuries that have required medical attention .

'12 first aid trained staff dealt with injuries immediately and emergency services were on site within a few minutes.”

Klee said the heating duct had largely fallen between the desks so had missed most of the 150 students who were sitting in the hall.

He insisted the sports hall received regular maintenance and there were no reported problems, but the Health and Safety Executive is now investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Mr Klee added:'We were very lucky indeed. Most of the students have escaped with just cuts and bruises and are being discharged from the hospital as I speak.

'It's very fortunate that it fell between the desks so it missed many of the students. Nevertheless we have been very, very shocked by what has happened.'

Kent Fire and Rescue Service,
Kent Police, South East Coast Ambulance NHS Trust and the Kent Air Ambulance all attended the scene.