Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Call for competence checks after CO alert

Householders are being urged to ensure work on flued appliances is carried out by qualified and competent workers after an elderly man suffered carbon monoxide poisoning following work at his home.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) at the house in Canwell, Sutton Coldfield, found incorrect installation work had been carried out on a solid fuel burning appliance at the property.

JB Group director Angelo Buratti of Moseley, Birmingham, pleaded guilty at Burton Magistrates Court to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £15,000 and told to pay £3,750 costs

The court heard that Mr Buratti, had, following a chimney fire, organised repair work to a solid fuel burning appliance, and employed two painters and decorators to undertake the work.

An incorrect flue liner had been used in the work and the installation was left with other faults.

HSE inspector Dr Janice Dale said:: “The dangers of incorrectly specified flue liners and incorrect installations are well known in trades associated with building and refurbishment.

“Such dangerous work as that seen here puts lives at risk from both carbon monoxide poisoning and fires in the home.

'This case should serve as a reminder to the general public that anyone they ask to undertake work on a gas-fired or solid fuel appliance should be a specialist in that particular field.

“This case should also be a warning to traders that they must only undertake work for which they are qualified and competent.'

For further information on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning click here